The Bangladeshi metalcore band, Absentia, has been a tight group for quite some time. Featuring vocalist Hassan Munhamanna, Ekram Wasi and Ekram Sahel with their guitars, Mahmudur Rahman Shovon and Tajwar ul Islam as bassists, and Shahariar Ahamed at the drums, the band is quite a gang of talented artists. The years they spent together have obviously been fun and memorable, and they recently shared a few lesser known facts about themselves with us. Scan through the pages to know more
1. Some of the first songs Absentia covered were all by huge, popular metal bands.
We’re talking Pantera, Metallica and Megadeth! “Walk”, “Dread and the Fugitive Mind” and “For Whom the Bell Tolls” were the songs they chose to try first. These guys were full on metal from the start.
2. There was some former rivalry among the members.
Shovon, Wasi and Shahariar are all from the same school, Rajuk. When they were all kids, Shovon hated the latter two and the feeling was quite mutual. Funny how they all ended up in the same band!
3. The band released a single in a mixed album before a show.
4. They were actually broken up for a while!
Absentia started their journey back in 2011 but the road wasn’t as smooth as you’d guess. They were broken up for some time, between the 2012 and 2013. They started back up around mid-2013 and have been together ever since
5. They collaborated with Mark Don!
The song, “Enter Paradigm” was in their debut EP, “Exit Paradigm”. The drummer of Aurthohin, Mark Don, helped out when creating the drumline of the song. Now that’s something for the Aurthohin fans, too!
6. Sameer was supposed to record vocals for “Super Namek” before he left.
Hassan was the one who wrote “Super Namek” but it was decided that Sameer would do the vocals. Sameer was originally the vocalist, Hassan later joined, after he left.
7. Shovon’s bass was out of tune at a live show for an entire song!
Back in 2013, the band live performed at Get Amped 6. What’s crazy is that, Shovon’s bass was out of tune for a whole song! There were more than 200 people in the audience and no one seemed to notice.
8. A push sell show was never a thing they did!
Unlike a lot of bands, Absentia never did a push sell show. And they’ve been playing for around 6 years. That’s pretty impressive!
9. Sahil apparently, will always make you feel like an underachieving teenager.
According to the guys, Sahil has quite an interesting presence. He makes everyone feel like they didn’t do enough as teenagers.
10. Hassan knows the full meanings of all the songs.
The whole band might create the songs together but Hassan is the only member who knows what they all really mean. Oh, the perks of being the lyricist!